Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Las Enfermedades

Well today I got to experience a new part of Honduran culture: the healthcare system. We have all taken turns being sick throughout this trip, but yesterday (or maybe Monday?) my turn came around for a sequel. It was pretty bad. By this afternoon I hadn’t really eaten or drunken anything (or, rather, kept any of that in my system). It seemed like everyone around me sprang into action, each offering their own advice. I really appreciate their compassion, but sometimes when you’re sick you just don’t want to speak Spanish!
My host Padre was sure that he had had the same thing last week and wanted me to take some of his leftover prescription medication. Umm...no. Especially no because all of the ingredients were listed in Spanish--and as it turns out, that vocabulary isn’t my strength.
My host Madre was convinced that I needed to go to her doctor, Dr. Bocke. She gave me directions, and expected me to just walk out the door to his little practice. Also...no. I couldn’t find that place on a good day, and aimless walking wasn’t high on my to-do list.
Eventually I convinced Madre and Padre that I would go to school and see what the directors there thought. As I was walking out the door, the Madre yelled after me, “you need to go to the doctor! Your face looks like death!” Even then, it was kind of a funny thing to hear in Spanish.
I got to the school and experienced the sympathy of the directors and a few of the teachers. They each took turns telling me their graphic stories of when they, or their sister, or their neighbor three doors down had this. Apparently, this is a common infection in this part of Honduras during winter. It’s run of the mill for locals and travelers to catch it, but it pretty much stops everyone in their tracks. Bummer.
Eventually, after I got to chat with my mother (real mother! Not Madre, even though she’s good too) my teacher got to the school to take me to the doctor. Her 10 year old daughter came with us. Field Trip!
We found our way 3 blocks up to this random building I had never seen. We were the only ones there plus the doctor. No nurses, no receptionists, no other doctors. Just this guy. And the three of us. It seems logical now that they wouldn’t need a bustling doctor’s office like Americans love, but then it was a little surprising. I was definitely expecting something more akin to Off The Map.
Doctor took me into his office directly off the “waiting room” and asked me what was wrong. I was a little surprised that he was talking to me in Spanish, after being promised by multiple people that he spoke fluent English. Regardless, I answered him in especially lame Spanish and tried to explain the issue. We then went into his examination room. My first thought was that his room would be the perfect setting for a medical horror movie. If it had been at all appropriate, I would have taken a picture, it’s that classic.
Doctor took my temperature with a mercury thermometer and my blood pressure with something that looks like it’s been used in amputations. He pushed on my stomach a few times and then wrote me a prescription on a scrap of paper. After he finished writing, he looked at me and said, “300 limperas” (just like 15 dollars). It was his third sentence. Then I left, got back in the car with Mildia, and we went to the pharmacy. That was that. We were back at the school, medicine in hand, in thirty minutes.
Back at school everyone wanted a play by play and more opportunities to tell me about the time their best friend’s girlfriend had this, (I don’t remember the name of it. It starts with an “r” and has about 5 syllables and an “ñ” somewhere in there).
So now I am laying in bed, annoyed. We only have a very few days left here, and the last thing I want to be doing is writing a blog! Hopefully the medicine will kick in miraculously and I will be able to be up and about soon.

In other news, a new student came to the school on Sunday. Her name is Haylee and she is a senior at Auburn University. She seems pretty awesome, and we have enjoyed getting to know her! The four of us had plans to go Salsa dancing tonight...but we’ll see how well that pans out for me. (Not going to lie, I’m kind of relieved to have a legitimate excuse to skip salsa dancing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment